What is Psychodynamic Therapy?
- Your therapy will be based on Freud’s theory (which has evolved over the past 100 years) of a conscious and an unconscious mind (your “psyche”) that are like conflicting forces (the “dynamic”).
- Your problems result from how you were shaped by childhood experiences.
- The therapist will guide your exploration of the full range of thoughts and emotions, including feelings that you may not initially be able to recognize or acknowledge (the unconscious).
- The therapeutic relationship (your thoughts and feeling about the therapist) are used to help you understand problems in your important relationships.
- Therapy is about “gaining insight” (a better understanding your inner life ) and “working through” (trying to become more aware of the unconscious influences on your experience and behaviour).