What is Motivational Interviewing?
- “Motivational” (a reason for action) comes from you. Only you are capable of positive change, but change is often difficult.
- “Interviewing” is a caring conversation to clarify how you feel, what’s bothering you and what, if anything, you want to do about it.
- The therapist is an excellent listener and able to summarize and understand really well what you say and how you feel.
- No one is trying to talk you into changing (that’s pretty much useless) but it helps to have someone to guide the exploration of possible change.
- The therapy is about moving from the feeling that nothing is going to change, to commitment and a plan of action (if you want).