What is Interpersonal Therapy (IPT)?
- Your therapy will focus on roles and relationships in your life.
- The therapist will ask open ended questions to develop an understanding of your relationships and the events that triggered your current situation.
- Stressful life events will be discussed: bereavement (the loss of a loved one), major life changes (for example, moving away from home, becoming a new parent, immigration) and significant conflict with important people in your life (disputes over expectations and difficulty communicating).
- During therapy you begin to feel more hopeful and blame yourself less.
- Loss, change and conflict are part of every person’s life. You learn how to handle conflict more skillfully and use social supports to help you cope.