What is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)?
- “Cognitive” is a fancy word for your thoughts and beliefs. “Behavioural” refers to what you do, your actions and their consequences.
- If you change the way you think or act you will change the way that you feel.
- Your automatic thoughts are a result of your beliefs about yourself, the world and the future.
- You’ll be asked to do homework or self-help work (for example, you might be asked to keep a daily thought record or to track your symptoms using anxiety or depression scales).
- The goal of therapy is for you to become your own therapist.